Sunday, March 2, 2014

Volunteering

By. C White When I was a teenager I used to volunteer at my churches soup kitchen. Every summer on Friday I would go and help out for about four hours. I would load trucks up with food, handout food, and help people to their cars. Our soup kitchen was different than others, because we would handout can food and boxed food. We gave out groceries instead of providing a meal like most soup kitchens do. My grandmother was the pastor at the church, so she encouraged me to volunteer. At first I hated giving up my Friday to help out, but after a while I enjoyed helping out. Seeing how much good came from my acts really motivated me to continue going. Sometimes I was able to talk my friends into helping which made volunteering more enjoyable. I think volunteering is what you make of it. I also use to help out on holidays when the church would have open to the public dinners. It was nice, because I was able to do something for the holidays. In my family holidays are not really considered a big deal. It was only three hours out of my day, but it may have made someone else’s day. It was worth it in my opinion. I think more people should volunteer on the holidays. If you are someone who does not have plans for the holidays it is largely rewarding. If I had received payment for my actions it would not have been the same. I work at a gas station that serves food. Basically it involves doing the same things I do when I volunteer, but I enjoy volunteering. The difference is that doing your job does not feel rewarding and volunteering is rewarding. When you are getting paid for an act it becomes dull in my opinion. You are looking to get through you shift, whereas with volunteering you can really enjoy the process of it. I think volunteering is something everyone should try at some point in their life. It is amazing how rewarding volunteering can be. I really enjoy taking time out to volunteer, but it is getting increasingly difficult to make time to do it. I can understand why many people do not volunteer with work and everything else going on in our busy lives. It is really important to make time for good deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment